Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 2010 21:23:57 +0000
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portupgrade, batch mode?

On Sun, Feb 07, 2010 at 12:26:49PM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Frank> But IMHO, remembering to always give portupgrade the -C switch is the
> Frank> way to go.
>
> Sadly, I've run across Perl ports that still ask questions, even when
> being run from portupgrade, and -C doesn't help those.

All the Perl ports I've installed (e.g p5-*) have just installed for
me without any curses options menu.

Although I'd describe you as a "Perl power user" and undoubtedly have
more Perl ports installed than I have.

> I'm guessing from this description that I should be noticing these
> and reporting it to someone?

Are you talking about ports that depend on Perl? Can you give an
example of a Perl port that asks you questions? Don't mean to be
obstructive in any way; genuinely curious as AFAICR I haven't come
across one.

It could be that the questions asked of you when you install the ports
are outside the scope of a curses interface i.e because you have to
type something in rather than (un)tick an option. In that case, the -C
option to portupgrade or the --batch option wont work.

PS. Many thanks for your writings on Perl, they largely taught me what
I know of Perl and led to many hours of enjoyment.

Many Regards,

--

 Frank