Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 12:48:39 -0600
From:      dannyman <djhoward@uiuc.edu>
To:        Steven S Shapiro <shappy@MIT.EDU>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dannyman <dannyman@uiuc.edu>
Subject:   Re: DHCP Support in FreeBSD?

On Mon, Mar 02, 1998 at 11:29:51AM -0500, Steven S Shapiro wrote:
> Hi, I am currently running a FreeBSD server.  However, I'm supplying
> the server's network configuration with static IP addresses and such
> that change (since the ISP uses DHCP).  I was wondering if FreeBSD has
> DHCP support or how I can deal with this?  Thanks for your help.

check out /usr/ports/net and get a dhcp client installed.

test that client out.

then, create an /etc/start_if.if-name with the right command. my
/etc/start_if.ed1;

#!/bin/sh

#dhcpc -n ed1
#ifconfig ed1 inet 130.126.72.10 netmask 0xffffff00
#route add default 130.126.72.1
dhclient ed1

note: dhcpc and dhclient are both two different dhcp clients.  the
ifconfig/route add is for static configuration.

i'll try to compile this in to a little FAQ later.

don't forget to get a kernel with;

pseudo-device   bpfilter        4       #Berkeley packet filter (DHCP DEPEND)

dan

--
  //Dan   -=-     This message brought to you by djhoward@uiuc.edu    -=-
\\/yori   -=-    Information - http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/djhoward/   -=-