Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:26:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        <arch@freebsd.org>, <kevin.way@overtone.org>
Subject:   Re: New rc.d init script roadmap

On 18 Oct 2001, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org> writes:
> > [...]
> > # PROVIDE: nfsd
> > # REQUIRE: mountd
> > [...]
> > All the dependency information is coded in comments. Although, with the
> > required_vars there, it doesn't help to put nfs_server=YES unless you
> > specifically enable mountd and rpcbind, it doesn't do squat.
>
> This is what rcorder(8) is for.

rcorder(8) only works at boot. If you can provide me a way to say "Show me
all the dependencies of nfsd" then I'll go be quiet and finish porting the
NetBSD scripts. (Well, I'll finish porting them before I go and add this
functionality.) But AFAIK (and maybe I'm missing something that's obvious
to you guys), you can't find out what nfsd requires other than grep
REQUIRE /etc/rc.d/nfsd

There is no way to start nfsd just by going /etc/rc.d/nfsd forcestart.
Period. This is because the script itself has no way of figuring out what
else needs to be started. It (somewhat stupidly) just tries to start nfsd
without any regard for any dependencies. It may examine the mountd_enable
rc flag, but that doesn't necessarily reflect reality.

-gordon