Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:21:01 -0700
From:      Bert JW Regeer <xistence@0x58.com>
To:        Stanislav Sedov <stas@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Steven Kreuzer <skreuzer@exit2shell.com>
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD sdiff Question

--Apple-Mail-2--320804957

On Mar 15, 2008, at 06:59 , Stanislav Sedov wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 07:14:04PM -0400 Steven Kreuzer mentioned:
>> [...]
>>
>> For reference:
>> $ sdiff -v
>> sdiff (GNU diffutils) 2.8.7
>> Written by Thomas Lord.
>>
>> Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
>> There is NO
>> warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
>> PURPOSE.
>>
>> And my port from OpenBSD:
>> $ ./sdiff -v
>> sdiff (BSD diffutils) 602111
>> Written by Raymond Lai.
>>
>> This work has been released into the public domain.
>>

> Do we really need to display program version on -v switch? BSD has no
> tradition to keep separate program version, it's just a part of an
> entire OS. I believe we might just abandone this switch.
>
> --
> Stanislav Sedov
> ST4096-RIPE

Even if BSD has no tradition to keep a separate program version, it is
still very handy to be able to give this data to other developers if
something is failing. Programs that don't have a -v or --version
switch are frustrating to people who are trying to find a workaround
for a bug that is in that program, or when looking at documentation
online, when the documentation is for one version and not for a newer
version. It is a lot like uname on Linux not displaying what
distribution it is running, making it harder to quickly figure out
where stuff is located.

Dropping -v would be a bad thing, and make the tools not compatible,
thus breaking many scripts that do expect a -v.

Bert JW Regeer
p.s. Sorry Stan about the double email. I replied to your privately
first, and then noticed my mistake.
--Apple-Mail-2--320804957--