Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2019 13:15:48 -0500
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Removing an alias can remove routes ?

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 11:58 AM Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:

> 14.01.2019 23:29, Mark Saad wrote:
>
> > So I wanted to remove the alias ended in 163 and fix its netmask back to /32
>
> And this was right desision.
>
> > I ran this
> >
> > ifconfig lagg0.vlan1044 inet 10.24.213.163/24 -alias && ifconfig
> > lagg0.vlan1044 inet 10.24.213.163/32 -alias
> >
> > and shortly there after all of the routes that went out lagg0.vlan1044
> > were gone . I quickly undid my change and put the routes back but I am
> > not sure what caused this ? Anyone have any ideas  I have done this in
> > the past with out issue and I am unsure whats changed other then the
> > box have a long up time of 463 days .
>
> Wrong original netmask of an alias was a reason of this.
> You should use /32 only for aliases. Re-add all aliases with /32
> then re-add routes and you will be fine.

That's what I was originally attempting to do . What I am now
wondering is; Should I follow the convention of  the all alias ip in
the subnet
of the primary (non-alias) address should be /32 . Then the first
occurrence of a new subnet as an alias should have its real mask
and then all subsequent aliases of the new subnet be /32 or should all
aliases just be /32 ?

I am going to test this on 10-STABLE in a few mins to see what I get.

--
mark saad | nonesuch@longcount.org