Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:46:06 -0400
From:      Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
Subject:   Re: make world considered harmful

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 17:50:00 -0400
Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com> wrote:

> When is "make world" the right thing to do?  If the answer is "never"
> then why don't we remove it from /usr/src/Makefile?  Its availability
> just leads people into trouble.

Trouble like what? An administrator who is unable to adapt to the updated software on his system? The only issues I've seen with make world are people who don't follow every step and analyze every new addition that a cvsup will bring.

Will CVSup bring sendmail from 8.9 to 8.12.3? Will GCC or BIND be updated? Do I have to take anything into account because of these? Which files will I have to take special care to mergemaster or reconfigure completely? How many changes will this make to the filesystem?

If these among other things are not taken into account, and I've seen this happen all to often, yes, things will break. People will lose faith in their system because quite simply, they've lost control of it.

I track -STABLE for two weeks on three systems after major software upgrades go into /usr/src, and then move them to an important server. I haven't had an issue yet.

If you're conservative about this kind of thing, track RELENG_4_6, which won't cause such upheaval and such need for analysis of an upgrade which you may want to make a simple process.

Cheers!
Brad

--
// -- http://www.BRAD-X.com/ -- //