Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 2010 00:19:09 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        FreeBSD Net <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mbuf changes

  over the last few years there has been a bit of talk about some
changes people want to see in mbufs for 9.x
extra fields, changes in the way things are done, etc.

If you are one of these people, pipe up now..

to get the ball rolling..

* Add a field for the current FIB..  currently this is 4 bits stolen
from the flags.
       what would be a good width:  8,12,16,24,32 bits?
       this would allow setfib to use numbers greater than 16 (the
current max)

* Preallocating some room for some number of tags before we start
allocating
      (expensively) new ones.

* dynamically working out what the front padding size should be.. per
session.. i.e.
   when a packet is sent out and needs to be adjusted to add more
headers, the originating
   socket should be notified, or maybe the route should have this
information...
   so that future packets can start out with enough head room.
   (this is not strictly to do with mbufs but might need some added
field to point to the structure that needs to be
    updated.

I'm sure some of our luminaries have ideas..   Speak up!

also, while I'm here will the person who made the patches to allow
ifconfig(8) to
set a default fib on an interface please stand up?

julian