Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 22:08:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Grosch <joeg@interaccess.com>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A Scenario for FreeBSD Commercial Support

>> Are the folks in FreeBSD agreeable to a regular 13 week release schedule,
>> if the `grunt work' is offloaded onto paid help ? (We'd need 13 week releases
>> to fund proper support)
>> Would FreeBSD worry about geting over dependent on WC Inc ?
>
>I don't much like this idea.  It would essentially require the users
>to upgrade whether they liked it or not every 4 months if they wished
>to remain on the tech support rolls.  What happens to the corporate
>shop who runs 2.3 for 7 months and likes it just fine, then they one
>day have a problem they can't solve with their own techs and they call
>us.  "Sorry, you're out of date.  You need to upgrade your entire shop
>and fix what isn't broken before we'll help you with your problem."

Agree. One of the first rules I learned in this trade is never to
upgrade the OS durning a project unless the upgrade fixes a number of
very bad bugs, i.e. the kernel panics several times a day. Forcing
clients to upgrade when it's convenient for us or because we have a
new release is not going to endear us to them.

>The rule doesn't mean anything if you don't generally enforce it, and
>in this case you're depriving a good customer of one silly question
>just because their release of 2.3 worked _too well_ up to now!
>
>If someone is going to pay for tech support, I'd rather it be the
>FreeBSD Project, Inc.  Then it could be done on a much more standard
>"U want it, U pay for it." kind of support contract basis.  It's like
>insurance - most people don't mind paying for first level support if
>it only costs a few hundred bucks a year whether they use it actively
>or not.  They know it's always there.

At the risk of sounding like a heretic, might I recommend we try what
the FSF does, provide a list of consultants and/or companys that will
support FreeBSD for a fee. This list would not be an endorsement by
FreeBSD Inc, or FooBar Inc, or what ever we are calling our
organazation. These would just be people know to us.

>I'm not sure WC itself is in the market for selling tech support, even
>though it's been talked about.  "We make CDROMS" is what Jack tells me
>on a regular basis whenever some tangental business model is
>mentioned.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       |