Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 02:33:56 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: lynx-ssl problem

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
>
> > Current, FreeBSD_version 400015:
> >
> > /usr/share/examples/cvsup# cd /usr/ports/www/lynx-ssl/
> > /usr/ports/www/lynx-ssl# make
> > [cascading errors]
> >
> > 1) It shouldn't have happened.

Indeed, it shouldn't. It was an operator error, I take the blame.

> > 2) What distribution is openssl in?
>
> If you have OSVERSION > 400014 and /usr/lib/libcrypto.a exists, it assumes
> you have a functional OpenSSL distribution and proceeds with the
> build. It sounds like you have a half-functional version installed.
>
> I forgot to mention in the other email that instead of building from
> source you can just add the relevant openssl package described in Ch. 6.5
> of the handbook, found at http://www.freebsd.org/~kris/openssl

I can get THOSE packages, since I'm not in the USA. And the packages
"described" in that section are not really described! Their existance is
_mentioned_, but no where is said in what path they can be found or
their name! Now, Internat is a big place, y'know... :-)

I tried to install openssl from ports, but it was not allowed by that
rule I complained about. I commented it out, installed it, but lynx-ssl
won't compile because it is expecting the base-system OpenSSL. When you
say "package", above, are your refering to something to something that
will be installed in the base system, or something that will still be
ignored by the lynx-ssl port (and any other port requiring SSL, since
that rule is in Mk/)?

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"If you consider our help impolite, you should see the manager."