Date:      Wed, 08 Sep 2010 01:20:07 -0500
From:      CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
To:        Pete Erickson <redlamb@redlamb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exporting ZFS Pool

On 09/07/2010 09:25 PM, Pete Erickson wrote:
> I'm relatively new to ZFS and have been playing around with different
> file-backed set ups to determine how I will eventually configure my
> pools. I've recently come across a problem with exporting a pool, but
> I'm not sure if it's a bug or just my poor understanding of ZFS. I
> create a simple pool using 2 128MB files. After exporting the pool, I am
> unable to import it and the pool is not found by the zpool command. Any
> advise would be appreciated. I'm currently running 8.1 STABLE.

Curious, neither can I (8.1-RELEASE):

(f84104b2)[cyberleo@akisha /tmp/zp]$ truncate -s 256m d1 d2
(f84104b2)[cyberleo@akisha /tmp/zp]$ sudo zpool create pool /tmp/zp/d1
/tmp/zp/d2
(f84104b2)[cyberleo@akisha /tmp/zp]$ zpool status pool
  pool: pool
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        pool          ONLINE       0     0     0
          /tmp/zp/d1  ONLINE       0     0     0
          /tmp/zp/d2  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
(f84104b2)[cyberleo@akisha /tmp/zp]$ sudo zpool export pool
(f84104b2)[cyberleo@akisha /tmp/zp]$ sudo zpool import -d .
  pool: pool
    id: 16288839965492350952
 state: UNAVAIL
status: One or more devices are missing from the system.
action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
        devices and try again.
   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-6X
config:

        pool          UNAVAIL  missing device
          /tmp/zp/d1  ONLINE

        Additional devices are known to be part of this pool, though their
        exact configuration cannot be determined.

> If I then attempt to recreate the pool, I get an error indicating that
> one of the files is a part of an exported pool.
>
> ratchet# zpool create z /usr/tmp/disk1.dd /usr/tmp/disk2.dd
> invalid vdev specification
> use '-f' to override the following errors:
> /usr/tmp/disk1.dd is part of exported pool 'pool'

'zpool create' starts over from scratch, and will destroy all data on
the target devices; thus, it warns you if it detects that they are part
of an old pool. You must tell it that you intend to obliterate the old
pool to create a fresh new one. This is intentional.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://wwww.fur.com/peace/