Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:15:27 +0000
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Are we fighting a losing battle? (ramblings)

Sigh.  After reading the news about Maxtor, and HP not open sourcing
OpenMail right now, and .NET taking shape, and Sun shooting itself in the
foot, and Office XP on schedule, and so on... I just wonder if we are
fighting a losing battle?

None of these things by itself mean much, but
when you add Win2k's stability, the anti-trust case falling apart, and the
continuing fragmentation of the open source community in so many ways (lack
of focus and lack of commercial developers to produce much-needed desktop
software), i just can't help but wonder if BSD and maybe even Linux will
just end up as a passionate but tiny minority who insist we have the best OS
for so many things, but really just end up doing file and web serving.

I know the average user might never switch, but who does that leave that
aren't having their needs met by the M$ monopoly?  The only bump in the road
I see for MS these days is their emerging 'innovation' to bind software to 1
machine.

Please, someone, give me a reason for optimism.  It's just one of those
days.

Jonathon
--
Tech support:  Try this.  Arrange the parts in neat piles.  Stand on your
chair until you can see over your cubicle walls.  Now shout "Does anybody