Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:04:33 -0800
From:      John Plevyak <jplevyak@inktomi.com>
To:        ajit@inktomi.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2930U2 NOT supported

Humm.... I could build you a custom installation disk with this
change...

What was the problem with the IBM machine again?

On Thu, Mar 04, 1999 at 12:59:06AM -0700, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> Mark J. Taylor wrote...
> >
> > It seems that the Adaptec 2930U2 is NOT supported.  It is 7890-based.
> >
> > The 2940U2 is supported.
> >
> > The PCI vendor id is, of course, 0x9005, and the device id is 0x0011.
>
> Believe it or not, Adaptec has two PCI vendor IDs (0x9004 and 0x9005).
> Their newer Ultra-2 chips use 0x9005, and their older Ultra chips use
> 0x9004.
>
> > The 2940U2 has an id of 0x0010.
> >

> > Is there any plans to support the 2930U2 (which I bought today)?
>
> Try adding the PCI ID into the PCI probe/attach code in the Adaptec
> driver (sys/pci/ahc_pci.c).  (in ahc_probe(), stick it in the same case as
> the 2940U2.)  My guess is that it will work okay.
>
> I think that the fact that it isn't supported is just an oversight.
>
> Ken
> --
> Kenneth Merry
> ken@plutotech.com

John Bradley Plevyak,    PhD,    jplevyak@inktomi.com,     PGP KeyID: 051130BD
Inktomi Corporation,  1900 S. Norfolk Street,  Suite 110,  San Mateo, CA 94403
W:(415)653-2830 F:(415)653-2801 P:(888)491-1332/5103192436.4911332@pagenet.net