Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 04:57:07 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Porters:  Please shorten your "one line comments" a little if you can!

As most of you no doubt know, the 2.1 installer now has an option to load
packages.

Given that screen real-estate and the types of "GUI" objects I have are so
limited, I'm noticing that many of the one-liner descriptions are being
seriously truncated,  and in many cases for no reason.  I say "no reason"
because looking at the comment in question will generally show lots of
white space, poor use of the language, etc.

The new packages menu is a cool thing and I think that many people will
like it, but remember:  How nice your ports entry looks on the menu is sort
of up to you!  If you chose a terse, descriptive name then it will look
good on the menu.  If not, well..  Some examples:

Good:

	mshell-1.0	Mshell: a Unix menuing shell

Bad:

	amanda-2.2.6	Amanda, The Advanced Maryland Automatic Network D

As you can see, the latter was trucated at "D", giving the user no idea
really what kind of automatic network utility it is! :-)

I also realize that most of you never knew that there was any kind of
limitation on comment lines and so I'm not ragging on the guy who produced
the Amanda port - I'm sure he was perfectly reasonably motivated to expand
the "AMANDA" acronym correctly and all, but it just doesn't fit and it's
not very descriptive for the number of words used besides.  Far better
would be something like:

	amanda-2.2.6	An automated network dump tool

Also, the package name and its one-liner will also always be printed
together, so lines like:

	ical-1.9	ical-1.9 -- Ical is a calendar application

Contain a lot of redundant information.  We know it's ical and we know
it's version 1.9 from the name syntax now, so "A calendar application"
would have done just as well! :-)

Anyway, it shouldn't take long to go on a pkg/COMMENT rampage and adjust
these en-masse if everybody pitches in.  I'll grep for my own ports and
make sure I don't embarass myself.. :-)  The end result will be a MUCH
more professional looking package menu (and WEB pages), I'm sure you'll
agree!

Thanks!

						Jordan