Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Shawn Holwegner <shawn@holwegner.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tyan Tomcat DMA and IRQ woes.

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Shawn Holwegner wrote:
> 	I have recently aquired a Tyan Tomcat II Dual Pent. MB. Looks nice,
> wish I could say it works the same: I am having no end to troubles with it
> in regards to DMA and IRQ timeouts. I have set the Award BIOS to 'manually
> controlled resources' as opposed to PnP (evil, wish I knew about this before).
>
> 	The odd part is: everyting bloody well works fine until the kernel
> attempts to probe the IRQs/DMAs. It will read absolutely everything, even
> report ATAPI status on the CDROM and single IDE drive within (IBM DHEA EIDE),
> but a simple disklabel has it locking up (an attempt to boot from 3.0-SNAP,
> May 24, 1998 will cause it to panic, init dies and jordy's graphic laden
> fiend of an install program resets the box.

Well, I've installed the same snapshot on the same board with 2 166MHz
CPUs on it, 64 MB RAM, a couple of EIDE drives, and assorted junk parts.
It works fine for me.  I did nothing special to the BIOS to make it work.

Jason

Jason Evans
Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
Web: [http://www.canonware.com/~jasone]
Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
Work phone: [(408) 774-8007]
Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]