Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:04:15 -0400
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Running Linux X server in FreeBSD compatability layer

I'm not sure if this will work or not, but I have an embedded system using a
National Semiconductor Geode GX1 processor (and support ASIC) and a TVia
5005 integrated video ASIC.
The manufacturer (GCT-Allwell) claims the system has full Linux support, but
several subsystems performed poorly under Linux. (the unit in question is
the STB-3036) In particular, the sound driver was scratchy and distorted
(which is strange, given that the onboard sound system is fully soundblaster
compatable). On the other hand, the sound works flawlessly using the
soundblaster driver under FreeBSD, and except for the strange problem of
FreeBSD not using DMA for the Geode's IDE controller, runs much better than
RH 7.1 on the same hardware. Since I'm using NFS for the bulk of the heavy
lifting (in this case, serving MP3's), the lack of DMA support isn't
critical. The real downside is that I'm stuck in console mode, as I only
have the precompiled linux binary.

I was curious, though, if I could get around the video problem by taking
advantage of the linux compatability layer. IOW, use the precompiled Linux
binary to run X as a Linux process. Has anyone managed to get this to work
(or even tried it)? I don't mind the space, as I already have a 10Gb hard
disk in the unit that is 95% free. (I'm using about 500Mb for the install
right now)

Also, I still have the RedHat 7.1 install set mounted on my FreeBSD file
server. Without munging the Linux compatability layer, how should I go about
installing the correct files. I get the feeling just running the installer
probably isn't the wisest choice, but I also don't know which files are
needed, or where they would go. (though I would imagine things would look
similar to the X setup on my FreeBSD server)

I don't mind munging the FreeBSD install on the system in question, but I'd
prefer to know if I'm on a fools errand before setting about it. Will this
work, and more importantly, if it does work - will it be able to accept
connections from BSD software running on the local host?

Thanks in advance,
Seth Henry
jshamlet@home.com