Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:08:06 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Subject:   Re: Annoying SCSI waiting...

In the last episode (Oct 22), Scott Long said:
> For just about everyone, a value of 2 seconds or less is just fine.
> For those with tape drives, changers, and (less likely) cdroms, a
> long delay after reset is still quite necessary.  There are two knobs
> to adjust this, and I'd like GENERIC to remain compatible.  It's 15
> seconds, not 2 minutes.  You get a longer delay that that just trying
> to set up the inital page tables on a large memory machine!

I don't think the scsi code even does a bus reset, does it?  That
should have already been done by the card BIOS during bootup, if at
all.  I have have been setting it to 1s for at least 5 years, on
systems with SCSI disks, CD-Rs, autoloaders, and tape drives (dds and
dlt) with no ill effects.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com