Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2002 17:59:56 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Reinier Kleipool <Reinier@kleipool.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about shared libraries and the library cache.

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 02:46:16AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Reinier Kleipool wrote:
> >   I have a question about shared libraries. I have compiled a new libra=
ry,
> > and installed it in /usr/local/lib. If I then ask ldconfig(8) to update=
s its
> > hints file, the new library is not listed in the hints file. In
> > /usr/local/lib I see two other libraries that also are not listed:
> > pam_ldap.so pam_smb_auth.so.
> >=20
> >   My question: What is so special about these libraries that they are n=
ot
> > listed in the ldconfig hints files? And for my own library: What do I n=
eed
> > to do to make my own library listed in ldconfig? Are there special ld(1)
> > flags needed to get it listed?
>=20
> You have to add /usr/local/lib to the ldconfig search path, e.g.:
>=20
> 	ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib
>=20
> If you want them to be there at boot time, you need to add:
>=20
> 	ldconfig_paths=3D"/usr/lib /usr/local/lib"
>=20
> in /etc/rc.conf.

I think that /etc/defaults/rc.conf's ldconfig_paths variable has
contained /usr/local/lib since at least February 1999, which is the
start of the src/etc/defaults/rc.conf CVS history.  Thus, all you need
to worry about is running ldconfig(8) by hand, in which case you should
not forget /usr/X11R6/lib, /usr/local/lib, and any other library
directories where ports might have installed stuff, such as MySQL's
/usr/local/lib/mysql/.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
When you are not looking at it, this sentence is in Spanish.

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr--