Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:48:05 -0500
From:      Dan Moschuk <dan@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M_SHORTWAIT, the md driver and errno

| >I'm fixing up the md driver to use the M_SHORTWAIT flag when allocating
| >memory.  In the event that our request times out, what errno should the
| >driver return?
|
| Good question, I guess EIO is the "make sure not to break anything"
| choice, but obviously ENOMEM would make more sense.

ENOMEM would make the most sense, I just wasn't sure you were "allowed" to
return that for write calls.

EIO kind of sucks; seeing an "Input/output error" while writing to a
memory disk will probably result in people incorrectly thinking that they
have bad ram.

Cheers,
-Dan
--
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.