Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2010 00:25:11 -0500
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        Jesse Smith <jessefrgsmith@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Broken Port math/emc2

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Jesse Smith <jessefrgsmith@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> This morning I tried to build and install a port, math/emc2 and received
> an error message saying there was a size mismatch. As I understand it,
> this means the upstream source package is now a different size than it
> was when the emc2 port was created. If I understand correctly, this
> usually happens when an update has been put in place or, possibly, when
> a security breach has happened.
>
> The emc2 port currently doesn't have a specific maintainer. So I'm
> curious as to how I can go about fixing this? Should I basically
> re-create the port and submit it as a PR change request?
>
> I know the technicalities of putting together and/or fixing a port, but
> not the proper protocol for this sort of thing. Any advice would be
> appreciated.

Have you tried removing the emc2 source from your distfiles and then
re-fetching the sources?

If they still failed the ports ideal of the file size and check sum,
see if you can locate a copy of the original sources on a mirror.
Then extract both versions and perform a diff between the sources to
find out what had changed.

If your unable to locate the original source, email the emc2 author to
see if he had uploaded a new copy of the sources and what had changed.

After you have done this, and the new sources are valid, submit a PR
to update the port.

Also, if your interested in maintaining the port, set your self as the
new maintainer.

Scot