Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 17:15:51 +0100
From:      "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
To:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   install troubles right at the beginning

I've done lots of FreeBSD/i386 installs and several Linux/alpha installs,
but this is my first FreeBSD/alpha install. I've got a PWS433a that has run
RedHat6.2, SuSE6.3 and SuSE7.0 (768MB RAM, SRM-bootable Tekram SCSI card).

I can boot the FreeBSD/alpha 4.3 CD-ROM just fine. I partition my drive
(using either the AUTO setting or my own settings), then I pick a "canned"
distribution. When things start to write to the drive I get errors such as:

  Write failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 240640 bytes)

and

  /mnt: write failed, file system is full

I've tried it several times, using the basic, quick, and expert installs --
same errors each time.

Ug. Any clues??

--
  "When a man is tired of London he is tired of life; for there
   is in London all that life can afford." -- Samuel Johnson