Date:      Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:46:25 -0400
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        FreeBSD - Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Test messages to -questions

On Jul 1, 2005, at 11:29 AM, fbsd_user wrote:

> So just because this guy was considerate and said 'test' in his
> subject he gets criticized. But all the posts to this list for
> selling drugs we all just ignore with no comments. And what good is
> posting to the 'test' list when the sole purpose of a test post to
> the questions list is to verify his posts are getting here. The test
> list is totally useless. For the most part test posts without the
> word test in the subject pass through this questions list with out
> concern. This whole thread is so useless that it's funny.
>
> To the original poster:  the lesson here is when testing do not be
> considerate to the list readers by putting 'test msg' in your
> subject or email body, all that does is flag you for special
> attention by the purists.
>
> That's all I have to say about that.

While proposing ways to stop people from sending test messages to
lists, can someone find a way to filter out top posting as well? :-)

Actually, fbsd_user is right; wouldn't sending tests only test if you
can send test messages to the test group while not at all verifying
that membership and configuration is correct for posting and getting
messages to and from the FBSD-questions list?

I think the more intelligent approach to "test" the connection would be
to actually send some kind of question a new user would have about
FreeBSD to the list as a sly way of testing the configuration, but
that's just me.