Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 1995 15:24:29 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        steinber@slinky.cs.nyu.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4 quickies (hopefully)

    Joseph> ( 1 ) I am having difficulty configuring lp. I have an
    Joseph> HP-Laserjet 4 with Postscript and 6 megs of RAM. I can
    Joseph> print PS files by su-ing to root and cat-ing them to
    Joseph> /dev/lpt0 -- but I cannot print with lp (I get blank pages
    Joseph> from the printer.) Please advise. (I probably did not
    Joseph> configure printcap properly, but I am not sure what to
    Joseph> do.)

I'd like to see a copy of your /etc/printcap file, but if you're in a
hurry, try this diminutive /etc/printcap:

lp|HP LaserJet 4 with PostScript and 6 MB:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt0:mx#0:sh:if=/bin/cat:

    Joseph> ( 3 ) Is there a way to display a message before the
    Joseph> 'login:' prompt?

See man gettytab(4) and /etc/gettytab.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

Smoke ballpoint pens.
-- One of 120 ways to annoy your roommate.