Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:22:14 -0400
From:      "Kelly Yancey" <kbyanc@alcnet.com>
To:        <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Anyone adding "support" for Athlons.

> As the title says, is anyone working on support for Athlons, and when
> can we expect it to arrive back in -stable ?
>
> (I can't find anything in the latest versions of sys/i386/i386/identcpu.c)
>
> Also, what actually needs to be done, it doesn't look difficult to add
> code to recognise the cpu, what extra stuff to do may be harder, but I've
> not got round to reading the specs anyway.
>
> (egcs development seems to have athlon support now, I've not tried it and
> I've only seen patches so far by searching the mailing list)
>
> It would be great to find all the benefits of my shiny new hardware
> (actually it's beige =( ), if indeed there are that many. (perhaps the
> 3DNow stuff would give some advantages!)
>
> 	Steve

  Steve, could you try out the patches in PR i386/14438 and PR i386/14440
and see if your K7 is reported correctly? i386/14440 should cause it to
display "Athlon" on boot; i386/14438 should cause all of the K7 feature
bits to be reported.

  Kelly
 ~kbyanc@posi.net~
  FreeBSD - The Power To Serve - http://www.freebsd.org/