Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 16:21:57 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Nelson <noslenj@swbell.net>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to BSD"

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Mark Ovens wrote:

>On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 06:07:47PM -0600, Jay Nelson wrote:

>> [snip]
>>
>> >Ok, not the best example. I guess the handguns law is a better one since
>> >it's now illegal to have a handgun in the UK even if you bought it
>> >before the law changed.
>> >
>> >Everyone here who had one was required to hand them in when the law came
>> >in to effect.
>>
>> I hope they weren't foolish enough to actually hand them in.
>>

>Most of them did (there was a compensation scheme). The big difference
>of course is that over here most people realize that there is no real
>justification for *any* civilian, except farmers, to own firearms (we
>don't have grizzlies and rattlesnakes, so walking in the hills is
>safe).

By extension, then, there is no justification for any civilian to have
encryption technology or open source since both can be used to cause
far more harm than a hand gun. Unless I misread history, the hills of
England weren't safe in 1940. England was also disarmed then. Why
would you risk repeating the exercise? Once you start giving up
freedom, when do you stop?

Since the subject of this thread is: 'On "intelligent people" and
"dangers...', does anyone see a connection with this and the
hand-wringing over what BSD, Inc. may do?

-- Jay