Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:00:27 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        trouble@netquick.net
Cc:        Barrett Richardson <barrett@phoenix.aye.net>, David G Andersen <danderse@cs.utah.edu>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: secure filesystem wiping

TrouBle wrote:

> i appreciate all the help, but this is not what im looking for... i want
> to WIPE freespace on the disk
>
> obliterate only wipes the one file you specify.. i want to wipe all the
> free space on the disk, without damaging good intact files on it, linux
> has a progrtam called wipe that does this, now ill ask again is there
> something similiar for freebsd

You've got me thinking about this now, it would be a neat tool to run over
your disks in daily or weekly.  It would be pretty straightforward to run
over a slice on block at a time, checking to see if it is allocated and
obliterating the blocks that are not.  Problem is, I don't know how you
could do this on a mounted filesystem; is it possible to lock the file
allocation long enough to zap the block?

Pointers to helpful filesystem hackery and/or knowlegable hackers appreciated.