Date:      Tue, 09 Sep 2014 12:17:07 -0500
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions !!!!" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: minor sendmail issue ....

On 09/09/14 11:27, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 11:11:24 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>
>> .... I am getting sendmail notifications in my messages file as such:
>>

>> Sep  9 03:01:00 kabini1 sendmail[44668]: My unqualified host name
>> (jaguar) unknown; sleeping for retry
>> Sep  9 03:02:00 kabini1 sendmail[44668]: unable to qualify my own domain
>> name (jaguar) -- using short name
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> This is happening (I think) because I am on a LAN, w/ no domain name, no
>> DNS servers running, just local machine names.
> That shouldn't be a problem. As a domain name, you could
> chose "local", "lan" or "localdomain". It's important that
> you have the hostname= setting in /etc/rc.conf and a matching
> entry in /etc/hosts that associates a valid IP (even if that
> is just 127.0.0.1). An example:
>
> 	127.0.0.1	localhost
> 	127.0.0.1	jaguar.local jaguar
> 	127.0.0.1	jaguar.local.
>
> You can even add more IPs that identify "jaguar", depending
> on if your LAN has fixed addresses or the machine in question
> obtains one via DHCP (different one each time).
>
> At first installation or after major changes, review the
> sendmail configuration and "make all install" in /etc/mail.
> See /etc/mail/Makefile for details about the targets you
> would need to specify. The file names (!) will reflect
> the naming decision you made.
>

>> These are kinda swamping other stuff in the messages
>> file, is there a way to suppress these notifications from sendmail ? TIA
> The notifications are there for a reason, so it would be
> better to deal with the reason instead of with the error
> message reporting the problem. :-)

I think I have that point (matching names in rc.conf & hosts) covered:

[root@kabini1, /etc, 12:14:40pm] 407 %  grep -i kabini rc.conf hosts
rc.conf:hostname="kabini1"
hosts:192.168.0.27              jaguar  kabini1
[root@kabini1, /etc, 12:14:41pm] 407 %

but w/ no domain name .... I'll try jaguar.local in hosts & see how that
goes .... Thx :-) ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."