Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 19:05:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IdentD... the horror continutes....

On Fri, 17 Jul 1998, Carroll Kong wrote:

> I ran a make world 2 days ago... I could try again... just seems a bit odd
> that identd is having trouble.

  Very common actually.  identd pokes around in kernel space for info.  If
things just a bit on the kernel side, identd no longer works.  One of the
worst programs around for this.  identd should probably be bundled with
FreeBSD for this reason (just like "top").

  I happen to identd running here, but I'm running it in daemon mode, not
from inetd.  Try that instead.

Tom