Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 07:21:40 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        mike@networx.ie
Cc:        FreeBSD Support <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does FBSD 2.1 honour ICMP redirects?

In message <ECS9608201020F@NetworX.ie> you write:
>Even if what you say *is* the situation in my particular case, and he is
>wrong in sending the Redirects, still why doesn't FreeBSD honour them?
>After all, the router he's redirecting me to *is* on the same IP network:
>
>	                   me=194.125.135.89
>	               mypeer=194.125.135.23
>	peer_says_redirect_to 194.125.135.1

If you decided to start sending to 194.125.135.1 instead, would you
still be sending down the PPP link or would you use another link?  If
the PPP link, then you can't actually do anything (since the IP address
of the router is only used to get the link layer address and there's
only one machine on the other end of the PPP link).  If not, then
RFC1122 says to ignore the redirect.

The router on the other end of your PPP link is asking you to do
something impossible; it's asking you to not use it as a router to
get to things that are beyond it.

  Bill