Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 15:04:43 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request For Review: libc/libc_r changes to allow -lc_r

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <Pine.SUN.3.91.1010120171614.8403A-100000@pcnet1.pcnet.com> Daniel Eischen writes:
> : > By the way, should it be __thread_sys_foo and __foo?  Two underscores?
> : > ISTR some rule about using a single leading underscore for file scope
> : > (e.g. macros) and two for global scope.
> :
> : I don't recall that, but anything for file scope that isn't a macro
> : can be static and not use the underscores.  Macros are usually upper
> : case anyways.
>
> ANSI C reserves _[A-Z]* and __[a-zA-Z] to the implementation space.
> That leaves _[a-z] to the user name space, so Jacques is right about
> that.

Well, we don't seem to be following that right now, but I'll adhere to
that in anything I add.  So how about instead of using _thread_sys_foo,
we use __sys_foo:

	__sys_foo - actual system call
	_foo - weak definition to __sys_foo
	foo - weak definition to __sys_foo

We could always do this for all system calls, but I'd like to leave
that for a future change if desired.  I can also work my way through
libc to clean up its namespace.

Can we come to a concensus that with the above changes, I can proceed?
I've tested everything I can under x86, and am waiting for someone
to create a directory (/j/deischen) on beast to test a buildworld.

> I can quote chapter and verse if you really want me to.

No, that isn't necessary :-)

--
Dan Eischen