Date:      Sat, 27 May 1995 13:16:17 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Paul Browning <paulb@metnet.epflbalto.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Tape Drive Woes

>I have an Adaptec 284x local bus SCSI card with one device attached:
>an Exabyte FS1G tape drive.  When booting the system, BSD tells me
>that the card is device st0 and the tape drive is device 0 on the card.
>It shows my tape drive as having density code 0x92.
>
>Whenever I do a "mt status", I get the following:
>st0:Cannot set selected mode 7:unknown tape drive type
>
>A "mt rewind" rewinds the tape, but I get the following:
>st0: cannot set selected mode
>
>Is there somewhere that I need to set parameters for my tape drive, or am I
>doomed with incompatible hardware?

I think this is because mt just doesn't believe that a type 7 device is
allowed.  I'm sure that if you modify the mt source to allow setting to type
7 or identifying type 7 devices, everything will work fine.

>|   Paul Browning                      paulb@metnet.epflbalto.org  |
>|   "Modems are my life....."          "O.J. who?"                 |

Justin T. Gibbs
TCS Instructional Group - Programmer/Analyst 1
  Cory | Po | Danube | Volga | Parker | Torus