Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 04:46:06 -0400
From:      "Lewis, Rodney" <Rodney.Lewis@bmonb.com>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   installworld freezes in /usr/lib

Hi all, =20

Last night I tried to upgrade to 4.3RC2 but have had problems.  Here's =
what
I did. Sorry for the brief info but I am not at my machine.  Any =
insight
would be appreciated.

I cvsup'd to latest.  Which was only about 4 files as I have been =
keeping
track but not installed since March 20th or there abouts.

Performed buildworld, no problems
Performed buildkernel, no problems
Performed install kernel, no problems
Rebooted into single user mode
Performed installworld,  when the install gets to anything in /usr/lib =
the
box freezes.  When I reboot back into single usermode and try to run =
more or
man or run installworld it complains that libs are corrupt.  I can =
replace
them from /usr/obj and the apps will start working.

I did manage to boot up to multimode and copied by hand the new =
/usr/libs
into /usr/libs and tried to installworld again but it just barfed =
somewhere
else in /usr/lib.

Libs it did fail on were libc.so.4, libmreadline.a, libma.a, libcurses =
and
more I think.

I saw a post that was similar earlier and his cvs tree was corrupt does =
this
sound similar.

Thanks

Rodney Lewis=20

This message and any attachments are confidential to the ordinary user =
of
the e-mail address to which it was addressed and may also be =
privileged. If
you are not the addressee, you may not copy, forward, disclose or use =
any
part of the message or its attachments and should delete them from your
system and kindly notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. Any
opinions contained in this message are those of the author and are not =
given
or endorsed by the Bank of Montreal Group of Companies including BMO =
Nesbitt
Burns Group company or office through which this message is sent unless
otherwise clearly indicated in this message. Internet communications =
cannot
be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain viruses. The =
sender
content of this message which arise as a result of Internet =
transmission.
Unless otherwise stated, this transmission is neither an offer nor a
solicitation of an offer to sell or purchase any security.=20

Ce message, ainsi que tout document pouvant y =EAtre joint, est =
confidentiel
et destin=E9 =E0 l'utilisateur habituel de l'adresse de courrier =
=E9lectronique =E0
qui il s'adresse, et pourrait =EAtre privil=E9gi=E9. Si vous n'=EAtes =
pas le
destinataire, il vous est express=E9ment interdit de copier, =
d'acheminer, de
divulguer ou d'utiliser ce message et les documents joints, le cas =
=E9ch=E9ant,
en totalit=E9 ou en partie. Nous vous saurions gr=E9 de les supprimer =
et
d'avertir l'exp=E9diteur imm=E9diatement, par retour de courrier. Les =
opinions
que contient ce message sont celles de l'auteur et ne sont ni =
donn=E9es, ni
approuv=E9es par le Groupe de soci=E9t=E9s de la Banque de Montr=E9al, =
BMO Nesbitt
Burns ou la succursale ou le bureau d'o=F9 provient le message, =E0 =
moins qu'une
mention =E0 cette fin ne soit faite dans le message. Il n'est pas =
possible de
garantir que les communications par Internet sont s=FBres ou exemptes
d'erreurs puisque les renseignements pourraient =EAtre intercept=E9s, =
corrompus,
=E9gar=E9s ou retard=E9s ou pourraient contenir des virus. =
L'exp=E9diteur se d=E9gage
donc de toute responsabilit=E9 =E0 l'=E9gard d'erreurs ou d'omissions =
dans le
contenu du message d=E9coulant d'une transmission par Internet. =C0 =
moins d'une
mention contraire, cette transmission ne constitue ni une offre ni une
sollicitation d'une offre de vente ou d'achat de titres de quelque =
nature
que ce soit.