Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 1995 08:09:14 +0100
From:      jg@euronet.nl (Jan_Guldemond)
To:        bmk@dtr.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Setting up a PPP server.

>Sounds like your problem is that you need to properly configure your
>
>ports to handle dialin.  After that you should be able to proceed with
>setting up a PPP server.
>
>I have recently set up a PPP server on FreeBSD 2.0, so I should be able
>to help you through most of it.  It's not always obvious what you need
>to do, so I'll review the steps as I remember them.
>
>[ note - I am _not_ a UNIX guru... there may be (and likely are) better
>and more efficient ways of doing this.  It works for me.  YMMV. ]
>
>* Configure your ports.  I use a script /etc/rc.serial, which is called
>by rc.local - this sets up the default configuration of my ports:
>
>|#!/bin/sh
>|
>|# port 0 is serial mouse
>|
>|# port d is 14.4 modem on private line
>|for port in d
>|do
>|  stty -f /dev/cual0${port} crtscts speed 57600 cs8 -parenb > /dev/null
>|  stty -f /dev/cuai0${port} crtscts speed 57600 cs8 -parenb > /dev/null
>|  stty -f /dev/ttyld${port} crtscts speed 57600 cs8 -parenb > /dev/null
>|  stty -f /dev/ttyid${port} crtscts speed 57600 cs8 -parenb > /dev/null
>|done
>|
>|# ports 1-c are 28.8 modems on main hunt group
>|for port in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c
>|do
>|  stty -f /dev/cual0${port} crtscts speed 115200 cs8 -parenb > /dev/null
>|  stty -f /dev/cuai0${port} crtscts speed 115200 cs8 -parenb > /dev/null
>|  stty -f /dev/ttyld${port} crtscts speed 115200 cs8 -parenb > /dev/null
>|  stty -f /dev/ttyid${port} crtscts speed 115200 cs8 -parenb > /dev/null
>|done
>
>* Add the ports to /etc/ttys with entries like the following:
>
>|ttydd	"/usr/libexec/getty dial.57600"				vt100 on
>
>dial.57600 corresponds to an entry in my /etc/gettytab.  You won't have
>one unless you create it.   Use whatever is approprate for your modems.
>Make sure you use ttyd* devices, _not_ tty0* or cua0*.
>
>* Configure your modems to auto-answer.  If you are using Hayes
>compatible modems, use 'ATS0=1&W'.  Your modems may require other
>configuration, but I can't help you with that unless I know what you
>have.  In general, make sure your modem does RTS/CTS flow control,
>locks the baud rate, properly responds to DTR, and asserts CD properly.
>
>* Do a 'kill -HUP 1' to force init to re-read your /etc/ttys file and
>spawn new gettys.
>
>You should be able to dial in to your machine now.  Try logging in and
>make sure that everything is working fine.
>
>Once that's working, you can set up your ppp server stuff.  Your next
>steps will depend on whether or not you want to do dynamic or static
>address assignment.  I assume that you'll probably want to do static -
>it's easiest, and since there's only two users it's probably best.  (I
>have configured mine for dynamic allocation - I can help with that's what
>you want to do).
>
>Set up accounts for each PPP login.  Set the shell to /usr/libexec/pppd.
> [...]
I hope you can make something like a FAQ, or if not please send me some
info. I'm trying to set up a SLIP server (as soon as it runs I will try a
PPP-server). But I think that the idea of dynamic IP adresses is the same
for both. I can set up the SLIP server using the DOC's and FAQ's, but I
can't find anything about dynamic IP-adresses.

Thank!