Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:20:37 -0000
From:      "Martyn Hill" <sysadmin@stjamessengirls.org.uk>
To:        "Paul Hoffman" <phoffman@proper.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How do I add a third ATA controller to 4.8?

Paul

I notice that the kernel config file you present is using the "old" device
ata lines - is the ATA controller a particularly old model?

If not, then the LINT kernel config file shows an alternative, viz

device    ata            # just one entry for all ata controllers, no need
to reference IRQs etc...
device    atadisk        # for your IDE disks
device    atapicd        # for your CD-ROM like devices

You should comment out the ata0/ata1 lines before adding the above (and
additionally, remove any "device wd*" lines in that section.)

Then rebuild your kernel.

Hope that helps.

Martyn Hill
Network Administrator