Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 07:00:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
To:        "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm2@mchsi.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starting up to an X login -- XDM ???

A work-around:

I just add the command 'startx' as the last line in
the user's shell configuration files (.profile for sh
and bash users) of users who prefer to start in X.
That way:

1.  xdm is not running when not needed;
2.  users who prefer the command line can start in
command line mode; and
3.  users who prefer X can go straight to X.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/x.html#XDM-BOOT