Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 10:24:52 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request For Help

Mike Meyer wrote:
> > I've been thinking about this ... why isn't passwd or pw in /sbin or
> > /bin??
>
> Because / is generally reserved for things needed to boot, and things
> needed to repair systems that can't boot past that point.

I guess it can be a judgement call as to what's "need to repair systems
that can't boot past that point" it really isn't a critical command.

> > The scenerio becomes even more of a pain if there are vinum volumes,
> > (/usr for example) since vinum doesn't start in single user mode. so you
> > can't just "mount" /usr.
>
> *Nothing* starts in single user mode. That doesn't mean it can't be
> started by hand after you have things up to single user mode. In other
> words, you have to do "/sbin/vinum start" before doing "mount
> /usr". That's not nearly as painful as mounting an nfs partition.

True, I was just whining ...

> > I'm considering copying passwd to /bin on any systems I have that have
> > vinum /usr drives. Can anyone see potential problems with this?
>
> I think the shared libraries it uses from /usr would be a problem:
>
> su-2.04# ldd /usr/bin/passwd
> /usr/bin/passwd:
>         libcrypt.so.2 => /usr/lib/libcrypt.so.2 (0x2806a000)
>         librpcsvc.so.2 => /usr/lib/librpcsvc.so.2 (0x28081000)
>         libutil.so.3 => /usr/lib/libutil.so.3 (0x28089000)
>         libc.so.5 => /usr/lib/libc.so.5 (0x28092000)
>
> You need to build a statically linked version and install it in
> /bin. Then worry about possibly running out of space on / (not really
> very likely), and finally make sure that you update it when you update
> the world.

:-p Alright, you've convinced me. I'll just leave as is and do the vinum
start thing if I have to. I guess that's really the answer to my
question as to why it's not there.

-Bill