Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 15:35:13 -0700
From:      Sean Chittenden <sean-freebsd-stable@chittenden.org>
To:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>, "J.Goodleaf" <john@goodleaf.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, sean@chittenden.org
Subject:   Re: Benchmarks from SysAdmin mag

--xtx0sNU5lZ46KfgK

> how about having a performance tuning application?  don't make it part of
> the default install, so that you keep the install as easy to use for
> novice users as possible.  but when it comes to tuning for benchmark
> testing have an application that goes through "do you want to turn on
> write caching on your IDE drives?" with a little explanation of what
> you're about to do...

	This idea has come up a few times and I'd love to see it happen! =20
=2E..  [grabs flag and starts running forward]

	I'm willing to head up the app framework that'd handle this and
am more than eager to see it succeed.  This idea has come up a few too
many times and is too ripe with potential to be ignored or talked about
as a "gee wouldn't it be nice if" idea and then let sit in the dust bin
for another few months until it comes up again.

	The two camps that'll hopefully be interested are performance
junkies (need technical expertise for tuning) and app developers (have
to put the knowledge someplace useful that's updatable).  -sc

--=20
Sean Chittenden

--xtx0sNU5lZ46KfgK

--xtx0sNU5lZ46KfgK--