Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2013 09:44:44 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@passap.ru>
Cc:        Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>, FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: gvfs on FreeBSD 10 fails to build

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Boris Samorodov <bsam@passap.ru> wrote:

> 26.11.2013 13:41, Johan Hendriks =D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=88=D0=B5=D1=82:
> > Boris Samorodov schreef:
> >> 26.11.2013 11:55, Johan Hendriks =D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=88=D0=B5=D1=82:

> >> It's not enough just to remove converters/libiconv. For more informati=
on
> >> please take a look at /usr/ports/UPDATING.
> >>
> > I did go through /usr/ports/UPDATING, but not far enough :D
> >
> > Well the problem now is that i can not create a list of ports to
> > reinstall anymore because i already did remove libiconv.
>
> You may want to use pkg_libchk from sysutils/bsdadminscropts
> to detect those files/libraries which depends upon libiconv.

Possibly hijacking the thread, but isn't it time that pkg_libchk was made a
part of the base system? It comes up over and over as a tool to simplify
dealing with dealing with shareable library version bumps and even more
important for dealing with the problem seen here. It's a fairly simple,
well written, maintainable shell script, so will run with no dependencies.
I can't think of any reason not to include it in the base system.

Checking for issues with shareable libraries is an obvious requirement for
maintaining a system and doing so without a tool like pkg_libchk is
unnecessarily tedious and painful.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com