Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 22:18:11 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding a delay before background fsck

In message <20021020201053.1C3092A88D@canning.wemm.org>, Peter Wemm writes:
>David Schultz wrote:
>>
>> `Nice' values *do* apply to I/O in -CURRENT.  Specifically, if a
>> process with a positive nice value attempts to do disk I/O while
>> there are other outstanding requests, it is put to sleep for
>> p_nice/HZ seconds.  I think this feature was added specifically
>> for background fsck.  If performance is a problem, perhaps it is
>> the nice value that needs to be tuned.  See Kirk's BSDCon paper on
>> snapshots for details.
>
>Just because something is in a paper that does not mean it is true.
>
>It is not the case in -current.  Read subr_disk.c, and the
>#ifdef notquite
>around the code.  It doesn't work because it assumes that every
>'struct bio' is really embedded in a 'struct buf', which isn't the case.
>It used the vnode that was attached to each 'struct buf' to determine
>the insert point.  'struct bio' doesn't have associated vnodes.

And just to round this off:  Kirk has a patch in the pipeline which
implementes the slowdown in specfs::VOP_STRATEGY() where we still
operate on a struct buf, I expect him to commit it RSN.

In the longer term, I intend to tag struct bio with a priority which
disksort routines can apply as they see fit futher down, but this
is still only on the white-board as a "Cool ideas" thing and I'm
not going to spend any time on it before I have that time.