Date:      Wed, 25 May 2016 15:51:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>
Subject:   Re: slightly OT hardware question

On Wed, May 25, 2016 2:38 pm, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 05/25/16 11:33, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>> On Wed, May 25, 2016 10:51 am, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>> Does anyone onlist know of any small (RPi-ish), cheap boxen w/ 2 or
>>> more
>>> working RJ45 ports (100 Mbit is OK), FreeBSD or NetBSD compatible ? I
>>> would like to use them as a firewall & an asterisk box. I found
>>> Utilite,
>>> kinda pricey, also Banana-Pi R1 (5 ports, however apparently wired
>>> somewhat weirdly on the board, NetBSD networking doesn't work there
>>> last
>>> I looked). Anyone got a little beastie like this working ? TIA & have a
>>> good one.
>>>
>> I was looking lately for smallish cheepish low power consumption
>> computer
>> lately to have it as firewall/router (running pfsense). I ruled out for
>> myself raspberryPI, for two reasons: second ethernet adapter on it will
>> be
>> USB, the CPU is too weak to run decent firewall/router with decent
>> throughput. I took a quick look at Banana PI (just to reconsider my
>> choice
>> not that I've heard bout it from you), and I have the same reservations
>> about it.
>>
>> What I decided to go with is fitlet-i barebone (you will need to bay RAM
>> and mSATA drive for it, otionally their heatsink, which I definitely
>> will
>> get for myself). This brings me in a ballpark of $300 as opposed to $40
>> for raspberry PI or banana PI barebone, but with fitlet-i I will have
>> two
>> gige ports, and enough CPU power to have it handling decent traffic.
>> (Additional info: AMD SoC CPU, up to 8 GB RAM, made in Israel, or at
>> least
>> by Israeli company; 5 years warranty, available on amazon, power
>> consumption up to 10 W).
>>
>> Just my $0.02
>>
>> Valeri
>>
>> PS I really would like to hear what others think, and if there is better
>> option than fitlet-i for gige WAN and LAN.

Aha, I see from your another reply you are looking at their website
already (fit-pc.com). It is advantageous to get their heatsink ($15) if
you get fitlet-i. I decided against their more expensive creatures for my
goal. fitlet-i having two gige ports seems to be optimal IMHO (unless you
decide to have multitude vlans, then you may go up to more network ports
incarnation).

Valeri