Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:44:05 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
To:        FBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   TCPD and a Perl Script

--AkbCVLjbJ9qUtAXD

Hi All,
I have a gloomy situation here. I have some perl script whose owners say
must be wrapped and they give the following scenario as what I am supposed
to do in Linux - but I want the script to run in FreeBSD! I am therefore
writing to enlist the assistance of FreeBSD experts on this. It is
important that this script is wrapped, as the owners say...

I have to add the etc/services this line:=20

UnixMgmt        3830/tcp

Then I have to wrap the thing this way in inetd.conf

UnixMgmt stream tcp nowait root path/to/tcpd /path/to/script.pl

Of course the instructions they gave are for a linux machine. But I am
also assuming that there is a possibility of running the same in FreeBSD.

So far this is what I have tried:

Added the relevant line to /etc/services, then
Added the appropriate line to /etc/inetd.conf, and because inetd has
tcpwrapper support built in, I assumed that the service will be wrapped
automatically. I must be wrong???

I edited /etc/hosts.allow:

# allow only local network users to access UnixMgt service
script.pl : 192.168.123.0/255.255.255.0 : allow
script.pl : ALL : deny

And then I gave a HUP to inetd.

I then tested to see what my tcp filters are doing with something like

everest# tcpdmatch script.pl 1.2.3.4
warning: script.pl: service possibly not wrapped
client:   address  1.2.3.4
server:   process  script.pl
matched:  /etc/hosts.allow line 48
option:   allow
access:   granted
=20
=2E..and as compared to a typical deamon....
=20
everest# tcpdmatch ntalkd 1.2.3.4
client:   address  1.2.3.4
server:   process  ntalkd
matched:  /etc/hosts.allow line 35
option:   allow
access:   granted
=20
So seems that something still has to be done????=20

Someone SOS, please.

TIA

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington Wananchi Online Ltd.,
wash@wananchi.com 1st Flr Loita Hse

--AkbCVLjbJ9qUtAXD

--AkbCVLjbJ9qUtAXD--