Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 1995 08:55:29 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: A German version of Walnut Creek's FreeBSD 2.1 CD

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> > Well, I may be in a minority, but I don't think that the WWW servers
> > are very useful.  Here in Germany, certainly, the time it takes to
> > read the handbook from the web makes it completely impractical (yes, I
>
> You need to think ahead.  It sucks now, but I have some small faith
> that it won't suck forever.  We have to put our efforts into project
> that will "amortise" well over the next 3-5 years, and I think that
> this is such a project.

Agreed.  I don't have a problem with supplying WWW services, but
bearing in mind that we're talking about the short term, I don't think
that there's any point in taking too much trouble to include it as a
standard installation aid.

> Still, I'm certainly not above reorganizing the subject material to
> be easier to grasp, and I don't see how the two goals are mutually
> exclusive either.

Neither am I/do I.  Did I give that impression?

> I'm only after the translation of the installation guides and other
> docs in sysinstall (or whatever we come up with to replace the docs in
> sysinstall/help), the cover and insert materials in the CD are being
> translated by WC's translation staff.

Let's hope that they get the Umlauts right this time :-)

Greg