Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 21:41:36 -0800
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: email, email, email,  :-(

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002 13:55:08 -0800
Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 12:56:24AM -0800, chip wrote:
> > What do some of you guys use, to download, filter, and read your > > mail
> > from so many mail lists?
>
> I use fetchmail as POP3 client; postfix as MTA; procmail as mail
> filter and mutt as MUA.  I've never come across a more powerful and
> configurable MUA than mutt..it's great!
>
> Kris

Okay, now I have fetchmail up and running, verified with fetchmail -c -v and it reports the number of waiting messages. I also have procmail installed and set up the .procmailrc as follows - taken from http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html ---

#Preliminaries
SHELL=/usr/bin/sh               #Use the Bourne shell (check your path!)
MAILDIR=${HOME}/Mail            #First check what your mail directory is!
LOGFILE=${MAILDIR}/procmail.log
LOG="--- Logging ${LOGFILE} for ${LOGNAME}, "

#Whatever recipes you'll use
#The order of the recipes is significant
:0
* ^From: scam@cyberspam\.com
/dev/null

# Accept all the rest to your default mailbox
:0:
${DEFAULT}

And my .forward file looks like this - from the mutt faq (I ran the command to copy my home Mail directory to the .forward file, as described in the faq) ---

/home/chip/Mail

I also tried the following line in .forward (without the above line), and it didn't work either - Taken from the http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html site again ---

"|IFS=''&& exec /usr/local/bin/procmail || exit 75 #myid"

When I start Mutt I get the error ----

/var/mail/chip: no such file or directory (errorno = 2)

and that is correct - there is no /var/mail/chip. It is supposed to use ~/Mail, which is set up in the above files, right?

As a side note: when I first started this thread I was dissapointed with the gui email clients found in the ports, well I have since found one that appears to be okay - sylpheed-0.7.0claws. That is what I am using for the time being. I still want to get the above described set up working though. I plan on upgrading this machine to 4.5 next week and want to be settled on the set up for email before then, right now I have more than a dozen email clients installed. (what a mess).

--
Chip Wiegand
www.wiegand.org