Date:          Mon, 23 Sep 96 21:40:02 CDT
From:      Chuck Cranor <chuck@maria.wustl.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        grefen@carpe.net, "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@sarnoff.com>, atm@freebsd.org, hm@kts.org, drochner%zelux6.zel.archer@cmr.kiev.ua, kfa-juelich.de@alpo.whistle.com, dennis@etinc.com, Chuck Cranor <chuck@maria.wustl.edu>, Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Subject:    Re:  VC support, *BSD and atm/frame/isdn

>as you are using netbsd, you already have it.....
>/sys/netatm

hi-

   actually, it didn't make the cut-off date for netbsd-1.2, and
netbsd's sup server is currently serving up 1.2release.   however,
i put it up for ftp at ftp://dworkin.wustl.edu/dist/bsd (includes
the work i did to get it running under freebsd 2.2-960612-SNAP).
when netbsd's sup returns from 1.2 to -current it will all appear.

   btw, when i wrote that code i tried to constrain myself to making
minimal changes to the rest of the kernel and adding no new user-level
programs.   (i figured if i did anything too offbeat it would make
it harder for the BSD groups to accept it in their source trees...!)
the single hardware interface with llinfo/arp stuff fit in very well
with my plan, and as an added bonus I was also able to fold in support
for plain aal0 and aal5 netnatm sockets (which we need and use for our
research) with minimal effort.   so that (plus a desire to get something
useful "on the table" for people to look at) is what motivated the design
of the code.   i didn't really think about issues such as "IF per VC"
at the time...

cheers,
chuck