Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:30:15 +0200
From:      Andy Sporner <sporner@nentec.de>
To:        Amar Takhar <verm@drunkmonk.net>, freebsd-cluster <freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: host (cvs or otherwise) (about what phase1 means...)

Hi Amar,

I would suggest 'freebsdcluster' as a name--since there has never been much
thought about others.  The only point is that somebody might (rightly??)
complain
that 'failover' is only one kind of cluster and not for instance
'beowulf' that is
so common in usage.  My belief is that if you can make a reliable computing
platform, then you can scalability is really only about scheduling.  We
are making
a network switch that does this.

So I would suggest taking the newest (212) version and putting it into
the CVS
in the following format:

      phase1/
      patches/

Where 212 is put into phase1 and patches contains the CSE patch.

I hope soon I will have my internet access again where I can directly
access such things.  We should also decide who has commit access--
which should probably be those who are doing to most to update and
maintain the code base.

BTW: For those curious,  "Phase 1" is failover,  Phase 2, will provide
NUMA (Non-Uniform Memory Access) like functionality where
processes can migrate between nodes.  Some aspects are network migratable
sockets.  I have realized this by an allocation patch (that assures
conversational
port numbers are unique across the cluster-- It isn't available yet, but
hopefully
soon) and a feature of this switch device  to keep track of movement of
the process
in the cluster.  (This can also be realized by NAT, but not as efficiently).

The idea is that unlike NUMA, where the OS is the single point of failure,
several instances of an OS provide a solution to this and work
cooperatively,
sharing memory pages to allows processes to move (sort of like swapping to
a remote machine).    The advantage is that it should be theoretically
possible
to construct a cluster that achieves near perpetual availability of an
application.
(I am not sure what the standard is for calculating available--is it
that at least a
certain percentage of users can access the application or that it has to
at least
be available).  So if there are 10 nodes making up an application
cluster, all
load sharing, if one crashses, the processes there die as well as any
processes
that had any kind of context there, but the other machines go on and those
affected can immediately re-connect and be able to get to a live machine
that
survives, while a Numa type machine would still be booting or the cluster
software would be waiting to see if it has in fact died.

Andy