Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:26:53 -0700
From:      Romain Kang <romain@kzsu.stanford.edu>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@he.iki.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post-ifconfig delay causes ntpdate failure?

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 10:03:21PM +0300, Petri Helenius wrote:
> Are you sure that this is not caused by spanning tree delay on the ethernet
> switch you are probably connected to?

Time for me to read up on STP bridging.  However, I'd be a little
surprised that the delay would occur when both hosts are on the
same switch, and they were communicating immediately before the
client was rebooted (as in my tests).

Whatever the cause, is there some method better than the ping loop
to determine if IP is actually getting out?

Thanks,
Romain