Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 10:30:14 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        "Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat@peak.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win2k w/ NTFS -- want to add FBSD

"Timothy J. Luoma" wrote:

> Well I'm ready to go ahead and install FreeBSD 4.3.
>
> I deleted the old Win2k partitions and made 2 new partitions through Win2k.
>
> Win2k reports there are 3 partitions:
>
> C: Primary 9.77gb NTFS
> D: Logical 9.08gb NTFS
> [ ]Logical 9.09gb FAT32
>
> [ ] just indicates there is no drive letter associated with that section
>
> I booted off the FreeBSD CD (dang cool, BTW, to be able to d/l the ISO and
> burn my own FreeBSD CD!)
>
> When I get to the first stage of configuration (the "DOS fdisk screen" in
> FreeBSD)
>
> Offset   / Size     / End      / Name  / PType / Desc     / subtype / fclass
> 0        / 63       / 62       / -     / 6     / unused   / 0 /
> 63       / 20487537 / 20487599 / ad0s1 / 1     / ntfs     / 7 /
> 20487600 / 38117520 / 58605119 / ad0s2 / 4     / extended / 15
>
> At which point I paniced and c-a-d my way back to Win2k to ask you nice
> folks for help.
>
> Question #1
>         - Something tells me those are supposed to be 'extended partitions' not
> 'logical drives', eh?  I don't think Win2K gave me the option of doing that.
> If they are, what's the best way of doing that?

Win2K can use 4 primary partitions just like FreeBSD does. One of those
primary partions can be an extended partition. The FreeBSD slice or primary
partion can be located on either side of an extended partition, since we can
now boot on cylinders larger than 1024.

> Question #2:
>         - I assume that ad0s1 is my C: under Win2k and that ad0s2 is the rest of
> the space.  Is that correct?
>         - Can FreeBSD's setup program make "real" partitions out of that space?
> How can I, in FreeBSD, allocate 1/2 of that space to FreeBSD and leave the
> other 1/2 for Win2k?

You can use fdisk and label from sysinstall to delete the extended partition
and make a primary partition or FreeBSD slice.

> Question #3:
>         - FreeBSD install, before the screen above, wants to so some sort of
> hardware configuration.  I have no idea what to do there, so I just
> basically skipped it, which may not be correct.  If there is something wrong
> there, can I fix it later?  (Again my hardware is a Dell Inspiron laptop
> 7500 which I've read several folks said was an "easy" install, but given
> their knowledge vs mine, I'm not sure what "easy" means ;-)

It means it was easy to the person adding the option. Other people may need
a wee bit of hand holding while they go through the process. It has been a
while but during the hardware configuration I think you usually delete the
devices that are conflicting. Later, after you build your own kernel, they
will show up in the startup dmesg.

Kent

>         Thanks to all
>         TjL