Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:57:05 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security List <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Checking realpath file up to date

--lRMsAdG4hjP4MFkn

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 08:50:56AM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
>=20
> > Sounds like you cvsup'd RELENG_4, not RELENG_4_8.
>=20
>=20
> I went back to the handbook to read the difference between these two.
> If I understand correct RELENG_4 is basically the latest of the 4.X
> branch. The RELENG_# are basically only security patches for a particular
> 4.# release. Do I understand it correctly?

If you meant RELENG_4_# where you said RELENG_#, then yes, this is
correct.  The RELENG_4 branch was not affected, since shortly after
FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE was out, a new version of realpath(3) was imported
into the tree, and it did not have this problem.

Thus, if you have a reasonably recent -STABLE (you seem to, since you
mention realpath.c rev. 1.9.2.2), there's nothing to fear - not for
this problem, at least.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20