Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 09:47:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hm@kts.org
Cc:        ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

> In the PC world, there is already a generic graphis driver for setting the
> state of the board available, its called BIOS. The only problem the free
> BSD's have, is to access it.
>
> If we could access the BIOS, it would be responsible for switching back and
> forth into the card-supported video modes, and neither the console driver
> nor the X server would have to care anymore about it.

And the nifty thing about most INT 10 BIOS implementations ever since
Paradise video cards came out in the early 80's, is that they disable
all interrupts during BIOS processing so they can guarantee they don't
put "sparklies" (remember "sparklies"?) on the screen by having the
processor go and do something else and throwing their action out of
the vertical retrace.

And everyone knows, it's more important to avoid "sparklies" on the
console screen than it is to process half a million FDDI or fast
ethernet packets, right?

...Wait... that's not nifty.

Really, INT 10 is a piece of shit and should not be used, even on NT
or NetWare, if the system is supposed to function effectively as a
server at all.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org