Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 08:33:53 -0500
From:      "DaleCo, S.P.---'the solutions people'" <daleco@daleco.biz>
To:        "David Zeibin" <dzeibin@ualberta.ca>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Successful user/mail/etc migration to a new system from oldsystem?

Hi, David:

I note that you've not been answered (on the list, at least)
for 11 hours or so, so here's my opinion(s), lame though they
be<?>:

You'll be OK as long as you have backups of everything!!  Users
can forgive downtime much easier than lost email.....

It seems you're wanting a 'silver bullet' on one hand, but you show
by requesting information (URL's) etc., that you're not afraid of
the work, and want more understanding.  I don't know of any automatic
apps to do this sort of thing, but I don't see that this'd be that
hard.
Perhaps 'tar' is able to handle this, fox example.  Tar has the -p
(preserve) option for permission handling, this should
handle files from /etc/mail and /var/mail...?

I'd just tarball up /var/mail and /etc/ as root, untar everything in
"work" dir on the new box, and 'mv' stuff where necessary.  In the
case of /var/mail, you probably could just extract a /var/mail
tarball
in place ... I think 'mv' will preserve your permissions, so if you
can
convince 'tar' to do so, you should be OK in this regard.

Probably you'd want to just insert the old /etc/password entries into
the new file, you might try using diff and patch.  Don't forget to
remake the passwd db afterwards, and don't forget files like
/etc/groups and so forth.

You didn't mention, but I assume the old box only does mail, and
no one has shell access, so no homedirs, cron jobs, etc.

Good luck,

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.