Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 1997 13:54:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, David Nugent wrote:

> Upgrading the base system's version to an untested beta with some very
> significant internal changes, even in -current, is the most stupid move
> I have seen in the FreeBSD project since my involvement. I can count the
> number of such incidents I've witnessed in the last couple of years on one
> hand, so it's not like the project is infested with stupidity. It was
> very ill-considered, and Satoshi's position here is critical. That he
> apparently got no say in this is incredible, to say the least. It seems
> obvious to an outsider that there are some very fundamental communication
> problems within the core team. Seeing this fixed is even more critical
> than where tcl or perl happen to reside.

[I trimmed out all the single names, you guys are all subscribed]

Another thing to consider is the basic cleanliness of FreeBSD to tcl
applications that don't arrive via the ports mechanism.  Our present
environment is such that even a well written tcl app hasn't the least
chance of configuring itself correctly.  In our respect for tcl, we've
constructed a tcl-hostile system.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |